Welcome to Blogmas Day 7! Today I thought it would be fun to talk about some of my favorite Christmas songs to play on piano and ukulele since so many people, especially this time of year, enjoy playing.
Starting off with piano, I have this book that my dad gave me ages ago, I think it’s from Hal Leonard, and it has 91 songs in it. The goal is one day to be able to play through all of them but I’m not there yet. This book has some of my favorite songs in it so it’s always the one I turn to first.
- Christmas Time Is Here, from A Charlie Brown Christmas. When I was a kid I loved the Charlie Brown Christmas and I’ll still watch it when it comes on but this song was always one of my favorite things about it. And it just makes me smile when I play it.
- Happy Holiday. Originally from the classic movie Holiday Inn, if you’ve never seen it and you like White Christmas you will like it because they are very similar. This one of those songs that really fun and it’s simple to play.
- Jingle Bells. Simply because you can’t have Christmas without some variation of it.
- Joy To The World, both versions. The traditional Christmas and the Three Dog Night song. Three Dog Night is and has always been one of my favorites, they were my first concert, so why not play their song at Christmas, it is called Joy To The World after all.
- The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. This one is fun for me because it’s one of those songs that everyone knows and they just start singing along when you’re playing.
- Wonderful Christmastime. I said the other day that this is one of my favorite Christmas songs and it’s also one of my favorites to play. Although to be fair anything by Paul McCartney I love playing.
On to ukulele, I’ve only been playing since January and thankfully I picked it up quickly. And it’s become one of my favorite things.
- White Christmas. I really like the different sound the traditional songs take on when played on a ukulele and this is a great example of that. There is this guy on YouTube, I believe his name is Ukulele Mike and he has tutorials for a ton of different songs and is really great to learn from.
- Mele Kalikimaka. The Hawaiian Christmas song, so it only makes sense to play it on the ukulele.
- Feliz Navidad. Not the best song on piano, but really fun on ukulele and guitar.
As you can see I don’t play a whole lot of Christmas songs on the ukulele, but I enjoy the ones I do play and look forward to adding more in the future.
That about wraps it up for this post, if you guys play either instrument let me know what you like to play.
Until next time, enjoy the music and have fun playing :).
Instagram: Kyra Sage
Pinterest: Kyra Sage